I would put Star Trek (2009) on my list of top 10 movies set in outer space, but J.J. Abrams’ follow up to his original offering certainly does not disappoint and is easily on a par with its predecessor . As soon as Star Trek Into Darkness begins you are instantly engaged with the characters, and the action rocks forward at a great pace from beginning to end. The action scenes are visually stunning, the plot a clever twist on the original Khan tale, while the exchanges and humour between the main characters was always entertaining.
I watched this movie in 3-D at the cinema and was almost tempted to give some of the gathered trekkies a high-five or two at the end of this blockbuster. Suffice to say there was never a slow moment, and this movie certainly earns the title ‘Blockbuster.’
Criticism from Star Trek fans, many of whom have slated the movie, has gone along the lines of “The flow of history is totally different, with no way to logically fit the stuff together. I’m so disappointed. What’s up with Spock & Uhura? That’s not what happened to Christopher Pike! The Klingon word QAPLA should be pronounced KAH-PLAH and not KAH-PLAAH, etc, blah, blah.
However, as we all know, fanboys are notoriously difficult to please, and with this blockbuster they must have forgoten to set their phasers for fun. In my opinion this is easily one of the best Star Trek films I’ve ever seen.
- Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
- Release Date: 4/16/2013
- Directed by: J.J. Abrams
- Starring: Alice Eve, Anton Yelchin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Bruce Greenwood, Chris Pine, John Cho, Karl Urban, Peter Weller, Simon Pegg, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana
- Produced by: Alex Kurtzman, Bryan Burk, Damon Lindelof, J. J. Abrams, Roberto Orci
- Written by: Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci
- Studio: Bad Robot Productions, K/O Paper Products, Skydance Productions